Kundli Matching or Horoscope Matching plays vital role at the time of marriage. Hindu Scriptures consider marriage as a holy union planned even before taking birth. Marriage is also one of the most beautiful moments in one’s life. Everyone wants a good spouse with whom s/he can create some beautiful memories and feel happy. This is the area where actual happiness of the person lies over. Where marriage is an important aspect in India, people today are very much interested in finding the perfect life partner. In Hinduism, horoscope or kundli of both boy and girl are matched in order to nullify any bad effects after marriage. Also, in case of any doshas, astrology offers several remedies and solutions to overcome its malefic effects.
Finding The Right Partner Through Kundli Matching
In Vedic Astrology, the concept of Kundli Matching or Horoscope Matching is very eminent. Marriage is the sacred bond between two separate entities, bringing them together for a long and healthy marital life. There are different names for matchmaking viz, Kundali Milan, Guna Milan, Horoscope Matching and Compatibility, Lagna Melapak etc. The factors which are considered at the time of marriage are:-
- Guna Milan
- Manglik Dosha
- Strength of Navamsa Chart
In India, Janam Kundli (also called as Birth Chart or Natal Chart) is taken into consideration for Kundli Matching. Guna Milan is based on the position of Moon in the Natal Charts of bride and groom. In North India, there is a process of Guna Milan, called as, “Ashtakoot Milan”, which signifies the eight aspects of Gunas. “Ashta” means “Eight” and “Koota” means “Aspects”. The eight Kootas are:
- Varna/Varan/Jaati : It shows spiritual compatibility of boy and girl along with their ego levels. It is divided into 4 categories, such as Brahmins (Highest), Kshatriya, Vaishya, Shudra (Lowest).
- Vasya/Vashya : It shows mutual attraction, control in marriage and also calculates the power equation in between married couples. A person is classified into 5 types, namely Manav/Nara (human), Vanchar (wild animals such as lion), Chatushpad (small animals such as deer), Jalchar (sea animals), Keeta/Keet (insects).
- Tara/Dina : It is related to birth star compatibility and destiny. There are 27 birth stars (Nakshatra).
- Yoni : It measures the intimacy level, sexual compatibility and mutual love between the couple. Yoni Koot is classified into 14 animals, which are Horse, Elephant, Sheep, Snake, Dog, Cat, Rat, Cow, Buffalo, Tiger, Hare/Deer, Monkey, Lion, Mongoose.
- Graha Maitri/Rasyadipati : It shows mental compatibility, affection and natural friendship. It also represents the moon sign compatibility between couples.
- Gana : It is related to behaviour and temperament. Birth stars (Nakshatras) are divided into three categories- Deva (God, indicating Satwa Guna), Manava (Human, indicating Rajo Guna) and Rakshasa (Demon, indicating Tamo Guna).
- Rashi or Bhakoot : It relates to the emotional compatibility and love between partners. The position of planets in boy’s birth chart is compared with the girl’s birth chart. If the boy’s moon is placed in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th house from girl’s moon, then it is considered bad or inauspicious, whereas 7th and 12th houses are considered good. In case of female, If natal chart moon is placed in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th houses from man’s chart, then it will be auspicious and inauspicious if placed 12th from man’s chart.
- Nadi : It is related to health and genes. Stars (Nakshatra) are divided into 3 parts- Aadi (Vata) Nadi, Madhya (Pitta) Nadi and Antya (Kapha) Nadi.
|Rashi or Bhakoota||7|
There are total 36 Guna Milans in Ashtakoota. Let’s check below how the scores obtained for above Gunas are effective for marriage purposes.
Importance of Guna Milan
|Obtained Guna Points||Prediction or Result|
|Less than 18||Not recommended for marriage|
|18 to 24||Average, Acceptable match and recommended for marriage|
|24 to 32||Very Good, successful marriage|
|32 to 36||Excellent Match|
Hence the scores obtained in Ashtakoota is seen through the above table. The match obtaining less than 18 will not be considered as an ideal couple and least recommended for marriage.
In conclusion, one should keep another factors also in mind while recommending any couple’s horoscopes for marriage purpose. For horoscope matching, other factors like Manglik Doshas, longevity of partner, financial standing in the society, emotional stability etc. are also taken into consideration. Kundli Matching of bride and groom will let them know how stars will influence their marital life and what can be the remedial actions to cure such obstacles.